Recreation – ETHOS HEALTH CARE
Recreation is refreshment of health or spirit by relaxation and enjoyment. Recreation is about activities, pastimes, and experiences which are freely chosen. They are usually undertaken in free time and produce feelings of well being, fulfillment, enjoyment, relaxation and satisfaction.
Recreation is an essential part of human life and finds many different forms which are shaped naturally by individual interests but also by the surrounding social construction. Recreational activities can be communal or solitary, active or passive, outdoors or indoors, healthy or harmful, and useful for society or detrimental. A list of typical activities could be almost endless including most human activities, a few examples being reading, playing or listening to music, watching movies or TV, gardening, hunting, hobbies, sports, studies, and travel
The specific activity performed is less important than the reason for performing the activity, which is the outcome. For most the overarching desired outcome is recreation or restoration. Participants hope that their recreation pursuits can help them to balance their lives and refresh themselves from their work as well as other mandated activities such as housecleaning, child rearing, and so on.
Benefits of Recreation
- Recreation is important in promoting quality of life.
- It increases self esteem and confidence.
- It allows people to contribute their skills and feel a sense of belonging and accomplishment.
- Gives people the opportunity to make their own choices.
- It allows us to be challenged, take risks and experience new things.
- It enables us to become involved and feel part of the community.
- It increases the opportunity to gain and develop new friendships.
- It bridges the gap between attending and participating in the community.