Nutritional Factors Of Schizophrenia
Nutritional Factors of Schizophrenia – ETHOS HEALTH CARE
Nutrition plays big role in every sickness. Every body cell including brain cells are made of essential nutrients. New research states that many ailments have nutritional deficiencies as major factor. Schizophrenic patients have much lower levels of fatty acids in the frontal cortex of the brain. Nutrition for schizophrenia ensures elimination of nutritional deficiencies, which may trigger some of the symptoms. Moreover, prolonged intake of medication may cause side effects like weight gain and other complaints. It is necessary to maintain a food balance and have essential nutrients for brain function.
Foods to include in diet
- Seeds and nuts for healthy fatty acids.
- Healthy carbohydrates from whole grain products
- Essential nutrients from green leafy vegetables and fruits
- Vitamins such as Vitamin A, B, C, D and E, Niacin and Folic Acid, antioxidants and essential minerals such as copper, iron, zinc and iodine to enable neurotransmitter balance and proper functions.
- Omega 3 fatty acids.
Foods to avoid
- Avoid sugar and food with low glycemic index
- Avoid processed or refined food products
- Avoid stimulants such as caffeine, alcohol and nicotine