Pancha in Sanskrit stands for five and Karma are the therapeutic measures, therefore Panchakarma means five types of therapeutic measures or techniques. These techniques are done in a natural environment under the guidance of good and experienced ayurveda practitioners.
The five types of techniques or treatments in Panchakarma therapy include:
- VamanaKarma (use of emetics) – Vamana Karma is used for ‘Kapha’ disorders like Asthma, Cold, Bronchitis and sinus. It is used to eliminate the Kapha which is causing the excess mucus. It removes Kapha toxins accumulated in the body and the respiratory tract.
- Basti Karma (medicated enema) – Promotes emission in the colon and thus ensures a good health. It is highly beneficial in cleansing and detoxifying the body. It relieves constipation, distention, chronic fever, cold, sexual disorders, kidney stones, heart pain, backache, sciatica and other pains in the joints.
- Virechana(use of laxatives) – Virechana Karma is used to treat pitta disorders like Hyper acidity, skin disorders, Digestive disorders, ulcer, and Constipation which result in rashes, skin inflammation, acne, chronic attacks of fever, vomiting, nausea and jaundice
- NasyaKarma (Nasal administration) – Inhalation of herbal steams through the nose, which clears the nasal passages and lungs. It cures the diseases related to head, eyes, nose, etc. it improves brain and sensory function
- RaktaMokshana (blood-letting) – it is used to cleanse the blood. In this treatment impure blood from the body is removed by using surgical instruments. This will help to remove the toxins in the blood.
Lifestyle changes during Pancha Karma
- Diet should consist of light, nourishing, and easily digestible foods such as steamed vegetables and kichari.
- Daily activities are necessary to insure the greatest results.
- Meditation and prayer are encouraged according to one’s own spiritual or religious practice.
- Sensory input from computers and T.V. should be minimal if at all.
- Reading should be done in moderation.
- Strenuous activity and exercise should be avoided
Panchkarma is the most important and effective therapy to rebuild the healthy lifestyle. It is a very special Ayurveda treatment requiring proper guidance from a highly trained and skillful Ayurveda practitioner. It is recommended for healthy persons and also as a preventive treatment to keep physically and mentally fit and energetic. It works best in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle.