Detoxification therapy removes toxic substances which may be natural or synthetic from the body. each person has a unique but limited level of tolerance for the “toxins” that are the by-products of industrialized society whether it’s smog, pesticides, heavy metals, or the additives and preservatives found in many processed foods. When that tolerance level is exceeded, the body’s natural waste removal process–centered in the skin, liver, kidneys, and large intestine–becomes overtaxed and incapable of functioning adequately.
Detoxification therapy includes a variety of techniques. The major detoxification therapy categories are: fasting, specific diets, vitamin therapy, colon therapy, chelation therapy, and hyperthermia.
- Fasting – Fasting is generally done for a limited, specific number of days. All fasting regimens permit water to be consumed, for it is essential to prevent dehydration. Others allow juice as well, although purists consider this to be food.
- Specific diets – There are many different types of detox diets, most are based on eating organic rather than processed foods.eat less meats and more fruits and vegetables, and drink only filtered water.
- Vitamin therapy – Vitamins, such as C and E, are antioxidant nutrients capable of neutralizing certain toxins called free radicals. A free radical is a particular type of atom or group of atoms that can damage cells and impair a person’s immunity system.
- Colon therapy – This procedure is performed by a trained therapist who introduces from 5-25 gal (19-941 l) of water, or other cleansing agents, directly into the rectum using a tube and nozzle. It removes toxic stool that remains in the folds of the intestine.
- Chelation therapy – It involves the use of a chemical agent that is recognized as being able to effectively treat heavy-metal poisoning like lead or mercury. The synthetic drug ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) is administered intravenously or orally and binds to heavy metals in the blood. The toxic metals are then flushed out naturally through the kidneys.
- Hyperthermia – It uses a sauna or a steam bath to sweat out toxic chemicals from fat cells. It is also known as heat stress detoxification
Benefits of detoxification
- It strengthened the immune system
- It enhances mental clarity
- It helps to increase vitality
- It also reduces blood fats
- It helps to reduce blood pressure levels
- It also improves hormone functions
- It improves psychological wellness
Detoxification therapy can be dangerous for people who are underweight, or who have diabetes, hypothyroidism, or hypoglycemia. Anyone with a compromised immune system, including those who are recovering from surgery, should also avoid detoxification. It is best to seek professional help when determining a form of therapy.