Counseling for OCD
Counseling for OCD – ETHOS HEALTH CARE
One of the several anxiety disorders is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). At a physical level it may involve communication problems between the brain’s orbital cortex and the deeper structure so that a message or thought becomes ‘stuck’. Low serotonin levels have also been detected in sufferers.
It is one of the anxiety disorders that lead to obsessions that are irrational thoughts and the person with OCD is not able to get rid of it. Thoughts that are unpleasant and unwanted are commonly experienced by the individual that suffers from this mental illness. As a result, the person will often indulge in behaviors that are unusual, repetitive, and even controlling.
Symptoms of OCD
- Checking and re-checking doors, locks or safely features
- Compulsively cleaning hands, surfaces or clothing
- Continually aligning and stacking items in order
- Repeatedly counting or praying
- Depressed mood or guilt
- Intrusive worries about harming or hurting another
One of the best treatments for OCD is counseling. Treatment includes a combination of professional counseling and medicines. Depending on the severity of your symptoms, your doctor may prescribe both counseling and an anti-depressant. Counseling assists the patient in numerous ways
- The therapist will educate the individual on the mental illness that they suffer from.
- Counselors will talk openly with a patient and listen for clues that identify potential root problems.
- The counseling may consist of changing beliefs towards stressful situations, thus, exposing the patient to what normally lead to their compulsion
- The counselor will also prescribe medications that may assist with the depression that is typically experienced by the sufferer, the unwanted obsessions, and even controlling the compulsions.
In treating OCD, the counselor will do everything that is needed to diagnose the complicated emotional state. Counseling treatment will continue until the patient will be able to resist the compulsive actions or thoughts.