Acupuncture for Preventive Care
Today there is great deal of emphasis on pathogenesis (the course of disease process), diagnosis (examination and investigation) and treatment (medication or surgery). Of late we have seen more and more emphasis on preventive healthcare (how to prevent sickness) by better nutrition, regular exercise and so on. But this is neither complete nor new.
For thousands of years, Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) has emphasized significance of causation and prevention of sickness. In fact the focus of TCM is more on prevention than treatment. Their belief of balance of energy system and removal of blockage of channels of energy system along with detailed study of causative factors of sickness revolves around prevention.
Acupuncture treatment is said to work by regulating a flow of energy in the body called qi, or chi, a central tenet to TCM. Disruptions in the flow of qi are thought to be responsible for all disease. Acupuncture stimulates points on or under the skin called acupuncture points or acupressure points, releasing the qi. The qi travels through channels called meridians.
The needles are left in place for 15-30 minutes, and the practitioner may manipulate the needles to strengthen or reduce the flow of Qi. Lifting, twisting, and rotating are some of the needling techniques a practitioner may use. Inserting needles at these points stimulates various sensory receptors that, in turn, stimulate nerves that transmit impulses to the hypothalamic-pituitary system at the base of the brain.
How acupuncture works in preventive care
Many physiological benefits are reported about acupuncture and its effectiveness in prevention of various diseases & disorders. Some are:
- Homeostatic (Regulatory) effect â€“ Acupuncture helps in normalization of internal environment in body. It helps in endocrine balance, sympathetic & parasympathetic balance of autonomic nervous system, cardiovascular & respiratory balance, metabolic balance, electrolyte balance etc. All this helps in bringing body functions to normal level.
- Immune enhancement â€“ Acupuncture helps in increasing resistance to diseases. It is said to increase antibody level, white blood cell count and activation of reticulo endothelial system. All this helps in better immunity.
- Anti-inflammatory anti-allergic effect – Acupuncture reduces inflammation and has anti allergic effect. The release of interferon is said to be the basis such positive effect.
- Sedation (Tranquility) effect â€“ Acupuncture results in calming down.Â There is decrease in delta & theta wave activity in brain as seen in EEG. This calming down effect helps in conditions like insomnia, anxiety, mental agitation, Parkinsonâ€™s disease etc It is observed that after acupuncture treatment, there is rise in dopamine content in brain.
- Better energy system – Our life and health depends on energy. Acupuncture enhances and balances energy and removes any possible blocks. This results in better nourishment of body cells and organ systems. This is the reason why people get the feeling of wellness after acupuncture sessions.
All it takes is ten sessions of acupuncture a year. This is bases on assessment of your health status, family history, lifestyle and other associated factors. These ten sessions can save you from suffering and many diseases. In addition these sessions will help you having positive health, calm mind, sound sleep, strong vitality, better immunity, better body functions and abundance of energy to live a healthy and happy life.
Contact Us to join