Sexual dysfunction due to diseases
Sexual dysfunction refers to a problem during any phase of the sexual response cycle that prevents the individual or couple from experiencing satisfaction from the sexual activity. Sexual dysfunctions can be a result of a physical or psychological diseases.
Physical causes – Many physical and/or medical conditions can cause problems with sexual function. These conditions may include
- Heart and vascular (blood vessel) disease
- Neurological disorders
- Hormonal imbalances,
- Pelvic surgery
- Kidney or liver failure
- Drug abuse
- Some antidepressant drugs
Psychological causes – These may include:
- Work-related stress and anxiety
- Concern about sexual functioning
- Body image and self-esteem problems
- Marital or relationship problems
- Feelings of guilt
Common Problems related to sexual dysfunction in men
- Inhibited sexual desire (reduced libido)
- Erectile dysfunction ED or Impotence
- Premature Ejaculation PE
- Peyronie’s Disease
- Painful Sex
- Difficulty Ejaculating
Common Problems related to sexual dysfunction in women
- Lack of or inhibited sexual desire
- Inability to become aroused
- Lack of orgasm (anorgasmia)
- Painful intercourse (Vaginismus)
- Vulval Pain
Treatments of sexual dysfunction
- Treatment of underlying cause
- Men with low levels of testosterone may benefit from hormone injections.
- Education about sex, sexual functions, sexual behaviors and responses may help a man overcome his anxieties about sexual function.
- A trained counselor can help a person address feelings of anxiety, fear or guilt that may have an impact on sexual function.
- Erotic or non-erotic fantasies; exercises with intercourse; music, videos, or television can be used to increase relaxation and eliminate anxiety.
- Using sexual positions that allow the woman to control the depth of penetration may help relieve some pain. Vaginal lubricants can help reduce pain caused by friction, and a warm bath before intercourse can help increase relaxation.
- Sex Therapy
- Holistic therapies like hypnotherapy, acupuncture, acupressure, homeopathy, psychotherapy, yoga etc helps in revitalizing and regaining healthy sexual abilities.