Sexology is the scientific study of human sexuality, human sexual interests, sexual behavior, and sexual function. It contains study of sexual development, sexual orientation, sexual relationships, sexual intercourse, sexual dysfunctions, sexual perversions and sex in special group like adolescent, disabled and elderly.
Some of the fields of study are:
- Greek philosophers Plato and Aristotle talked about homosexuality.
- Hippocrates discovered facts about human reproduction.
- Roman physician Soranus wrote on contraception
- Galen gave first sexual theory
- Leonardo da Vinci drew sketches of sexual process
- Fallopian and Bartholin gave anatomical description of sex organs
- Clellan S. Ford and Frank A. Beach wrote book‘Patterns of Sexual Behavior’
- Ernst Grafenberg found G Spot
- Richard Freiherr von Krafft Ebing published Psychopathia Sexualis
- Havelock Ellis was first to describe homosexuality is not disease, immoral or crime
- Sigmund Freud developed theory of sexuality
- Magnus Hirschfeld founded Institute for Sexology
- Alfred Kinsey founded Institute for Sex Research known popularly as Kinsey Institute
- Kurt Freund developed Penile Plethysmograph to measure sexual arousal in males
- William Masters and Virginia Johnson released work Human Sexual Response and Human Sexual Inadequacy. They founded the famous Masters and Johnson Institute
- Technology like MRI and Neuroimaging has helped in clear understanding of sexual function specially the role of brain
- MRI could show the damage of sexual abuse on brain
- It is found that those watching porn or addicted to sex is not due to any changes in brain but due to high libido
- Steele, Staley, Fong and Prause used EEG to study effect of erotic material on brain
- New pills to improve sexual functioning and control pregnancy
- Surgery for sex conversion