Coping with Infertility
Infertility may be one of the most difficult things you’ll ever face. It’s normal to feel sad, angry, desperate or overwhelmed. The key to coping is to acknowledge that you’re going through a tough time. Most people coping with infertility feel frustrated or helpless at one time or another. Here are a few tips how to cope with infertility.
- Talk to your partner – Try talking to your partner. Share your feelings with your partner together. Finding support when dealing with infertility is essential, and friends and family can lend some of that support.
- Learn as much as you can – Try to know about the treatment and their success. The more you know about infertility, including treatments or alternatives like adoption or living child-free, the more in control you will feel.
- Practice relaxation – Acupuncture, yoga, and relaxation techniques are all possible ways to cope with infertility. There are many different mind-body therapies like physical postures called asanas, and breathing practices called pranayama to cope with infertility.
- Friends and family Support – Talking to your friends and family members can help you feel less alone.
- Counseling – Therapist could help you cope with the emotional struggle of infertility. Counseling can also address the strain that fertility treatment can put on your relationship. It may improve your chances of success.
- Other couples – Talking through your experiences with someone else who’s going through the same thing can be helpful.
- Alternatives – Some couples find it a relief to stop thinking about fertility treatment. It may open the way for you to consider alternatives, such as adoption, surrogacy or child free living.
- Don’t let infertility take over your life – Make sure you fill your life and your relationship with other things. Keeping up with hobbies that bring you pleasure is the key to living a satisfying and busy life.
- Keep sex fun – During infertility, sex can quickly become more like a chore, than a fun way to express love for each other. Try to keep things loving and exciting such as Light candles, play fun music, or watch romantic movies, whatever makes you both feel good.
- Infertility support online – Check out bulletin boards, Facebook pages, and other websites to get IVF support and guidance on infertility treatments.